The Canadian Press is reporting that North Bay will be one of the six destinations for COVID-19 ICU patients from Saskatchewan that are leaving the province to receive treatment for COVID-19.
Saskatchewan reported a record 85 COVID-19 patients in ICUs on Monday.
“We recognize the stress this will cause the families affected,” said Scott Livingstone, CEO of the Saskatchewan Health Authority in a release.
“We continue to work every day to maximize capacity to provide care as close to home as possible, but this decision is necessary to maintain the quality of critical care services our patients need. We are extremely thankful to our partners in Ontario for stepping up and providing this support.”
The Saskatchewan Health Authority says up to six transfers total are expected by end of day Wednesday, with a longer term assessment of out-of-province support beyond Wednesday currently being finalized.
Currently only one COVID-19 patient is being treated at the North Bay Regional Health Centre.
This is not the first time the North Bay Regional Health Centre has received out of town COVID-19 transfer patients.
Earlier this year the local hospital has taken in COVID-19 transfer patients from Manitoba and southern Ontario.