OPP News Release
ARMOUR TWP - On Sunday September 1, 2013 at approximately 3:30pm the Almaguin Highlands Ontario Provincial Police, the Burk’s Falls and District Fire Department along with Parry Sound and Muskoka Emergency Medical Service (EMS) attended a Rat Lake Road, Armour Township residence after receiving information that two residents, married from Scarborough Ontario were unresponsive.
Upon arrival at the residence CPR was administered to both parties and the 84 year old female regained consciousness. Both parties were transported by ambulance to the Huntsville District Memorial Hospital. While en route to the hospital the 84 year old male was pronounced deceased.
A post mortem was conducted and the cause of death was determined to be consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning. Toxicology tests are pending and are necessary to confirm the cause of death. The Almaguin Highlands Ontario Provincial Police have concluded their investigation and the death is not suspicious.
Police would like to remind residents that carbon monoxide poisoning is caused by exposure to too much carbon monoxide — a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. Too much carbon monoxide in the air you breathe can greatly diminish your ability to absorb oxygen. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be especially dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. The fumes may be fatal before anyone realizes there's a problem.
Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include: Dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.
Various appliances fueled by wood or gas produce carbon monoxide and it is recommended to install a carbon monoxide detector in every home.