A suspended driver from Port Loring is facing multiple charges in North Bay following a collision with a hydro pole along Lakeshore Drive.
According to the North Bay Police Service, at approximately 10:30 pm on Monday, Feb. 5, a vehicle travelling southbound in the 800 block of Lakeshore Drive suddenly veered off the road and struck a hydro pole. As a result of the collision, the hydro pole sustained minor damage, while the vehicle sustained significant damage.
Police were called by a witness, and upon arrival, NBPS located a male standing near the vehicle. The male was identified as the driver, and after a brief interaction, he was arrested for impaired operation by drug. A search of the accused revealed a small quantity of a controlled substance.
Further investigation revealed that the accused was a suspended driver and had also taken the vehicle from a friend without permission. The accused
was transported to NBPS Headquarters, where he was examined by a Drug Recognition Officer, who determined that the accused was impaired by drug.
As a result of the investigation, the male was charged with:
- Operation while impaired by drug
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Take vehicle without consent
- One count of drive while under suspension (Highway Traffic Act)
The accused was released on an undertaking with a future court date.
Police are reminding the public that operating a motor while being impaired by drugs carries the same consequences as being impaired by alcohol.
Consequences of being charged with an impaired driving offence include:
- Seven-day vehicle impoundment;
- A mandatory 90-day driver’s licence suspension; and,
- Upon conviction, subjects face heavy fines, further driver’s license suspensions and possible jail time.