Skip to content

Immigration spurs rise in local, provincial, federal populations

In North Bay and area, the population rose by 3,000 from 2022 to 2023. StatCan reports most of Canada's 3.2% growth — the most since 1957 — was due to temporary immigration in 2023. 'Without temporary immigration, Canada's population growth would have been almost three times less'
In 2023, there were record numbers of permanent and temporary residents.

Statistics Canada has released its annual estimated population counts, updated to July 1, 2023.

StatCan estimates the population in the North Bay census agglomeration area as 79,732. That's up more than 6,000 from 2019's 73,645.

From 2021 through 2023, the total population growth is more than 5,000, up from 74,521 in 2021. 

The population rose by nearly 3,000 between the 76,808 recorded in 2022 and 79,732 in 2023.

Besides the city itself, the North Bay "census agglomeration" also estimates the number of residents in towns and villages stretching from Trout Creek at its southernmost point, to south of Lake Temagami, Marten River and Lake Timiskaming to the north and northwest, and includes East Ferris and Bonfield to the east (see map). 

According to StatCan, "Population growth or total growth in Canada is equal to natural increase (births minus deaths) plus international migratory increase (immigrants plus net non-permanent residents minus net emigration). At the provincial and territorial level, total population growth also includes interprovincial migratory increase."

Ontario's population, estimated by StatCan as of July 1, 2023, has surpassed 15.6 million people, a rise of approximately 1 million since 2019. StatCan estimates the province's population grew by 450,000 from 2022 to 2023.

Canada's population as of July 1, 2023, has gone over 40 million for the first time, according to the StatCan report. In 2019, it was 37.6 million, 38 million in 2020, 38.2 million in 2021, and in 2022 the population of Canada was 38.9 million, meaning it grew by approximately 1.2 million people between 2022 and 2023. This was the highest annual population growth rate (+3.2%) in Canada since 1957 (+3.3%).

Most of Canada's 3.2% growth rate was due to temporary immigration in 2023. "Without temporary immigration," says StatCan, "relying solely on permanent immigration and natural increase (births minus deaths), Canada's population growth would have been almost three times less (+1.2%). In 2023, the vast majority (97.6%) of Canada's population growth came from international migration (both permanent and temporary immigration) and the remaining portion (2.4%) came from natural increase."

Note: An immigrant refers to a person who is a permanent resident or a landed immigrant. Such a person has been granted the right to live in Canada permanently by immigration authorities," per StatCan. "Persons who are born abroad to a Canadian parent are not immigrants but are included in the returning emigrant component. For the Centre for Demography, the terms immigrant, landed immigrant and permanent resident refer to the same concept. 

Non-permanent resident refers to a person from another country with a usual place of residence in Canada and who has a work or study permit, or who has claimed refugee status (asylum claimant). Family members living with work or study permit holders are also included unless these family members are already Canadian citizens, landed immigrants (permanent residents), or non-permanent residents themselves. For the Centre for Demography, the terms non-permanent resident and temporary immigrant refer to the same concept.