The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit (Health Unit) is preparing to vaccinate other priority groups in Phase 1 of Ontario’s Ethical Framework for COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution.
The Health Unit reports that to date, 1,109 vaccines have been administered in our district.
"Once the next shipment of vaccine arrives, it will be allocated to second dose vaccinations to individuals that have already received their first dose and to continue first dose vaccines for priority groups. It is anticipated the Health Unit will see an increase in vaccine shipments in March, at which point the next priority groups can receive their vaccine," the Health Unit release states.
As part of the province’s Ethical Framework for COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution, the immediate priority groups within the district to receive vaccine are:
- Staff and essential caregivers in long-term care homes, high-risk retirement homes and First Nations elder care homes, and any residents of these settings that have not yet received a first dose of vaccine.
- Alternative level of care patients in hospitals who have a confirmed admission to a long-term care home, retirement home or other congregate care home for seniors.
- Highest Priority health care workers, followed by Very High Priority health care workers, in accordance with the Ministry of Health’s guidance on Health Care Worker Prioritization.
- Indigenous adults in northern remote and higher risk communities (including on-reserve and urban communities).
When all immediate priority groups have received vaccination for COVID-19, the remaining Phase 1 population will receive the vaccine, including:
- adults 80 years of age and older,
- staff, residents and caregivers in retirement homes and other congregate care settings for seniors (e.g., assisted living),
- health care workers in the High Priority level, and in accordance with the Ministry of Health’s guidance on Health Care Worker Prioritization,
- all Indigenous adults,
- adult recipients of chronic home care.
The Health Unit will continue to update the district on the status of the COVID-19 vaccine as information becomes available, including when the public can call for appointment booking. Future updates will be communicated on a weekly basis on our COVID-19 vaccine webpage.
For more information on the COVID-19 vaccine visit www.myhealthunit.ca/COVID-