The South River Machar Fire Department responded to a carbon monoxide alarm activation this morning at a South River District Social Services Administration Board.residence,
While checking out that situation, it was noticed that there was no working smoke alarm in the duplex.
As a result of an investigation, one charge was laid on the supervisor.
The supervisor was charged with failure to maintain a working smoke alarm, with a set fine of $295 plus a victim surcharge of $60 for a total of $355.
The supervisor was not named.
“Many fatal fires occur at night when everyone is asleep, so early warning is crucial to survival,” says Fire Chief Risto Maki “The Ontario Fire Code requires working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. For added protection, our fire department recommends installing a smoke alarm in every bedroom. Larger homes may require additional smoke alarms.”