Share this profile:
What We Do
The North Bay Food Bank has been serving the North Bay community since 1987.
The purpose of our organization is to alleviate food insecurity for North Bay residents allowing each North Bay citizen the opportunity to become self-sufficient. In the words of Jake Englehart, “No one need pass here hungry”.
The North Bay Food Bank has been serving the North Bay community since 1987. Today, we assist approximately 800-1000 people each month – 27 percent of whom are children. The North Bay Food Bank also serves citizens of Redbridge.
Our Mission is to work within our community to gather and distribute nutritious food to those in need, and to contribute to public awareness, the conditions that lead to food insecurity.
The History of the North Bay Food Bank
The North Bay Food Bank was founded by Maurice McGuinty, Larry Klein, Ted Hargreaves and Marty Martinello. The concept of the North Bay Food Bank started in the 1980’s, when the North Bay Regional Social Justice Committee was formed at the request of Bishop Alexander Carter, to study the needs of the community, and to act on those needs.
North Bay Food Bank Building
The challenge was accepted by the nights of Columbus, studies were made, and the first soup kitchen opened temporarily at St. Andrew’s Church. Food was prepared at St. Joseph-Scollard Hall, through a Canadore College program with the late Sister Vivian Stevenson in charge.
In January 1986, the soup kitchen moved to Main Street West where free space was offered at Renmar Hall. Church groups managed the kitchen, and it was closed after two years since it did not seem to include families with children.
A temporary Food Bank was set up at St. Joseph-Scollard Hall and was eventually moved to Worthington Street East, where Golden Age Craft House offered the second floor for our use. This building was soon to be demolished, and the Food Bank was moved to 144 McIntyre Street West, which was ideal – close to a bus stop with the ability to offer service on the main floor. It was managed by volunteers, Ann Percival and Hugh Barr. At this time, bags were prepared in advance for singles, couples and larger families. Pick-ups were every two weeks, and doors were open three afternoons a week.
The next move was to 134 McIntyre Street West, where changes were made that included computer registrations and a point system, which had been recommended by the Advisory Board, so that our clients could have some choice in what they received. Food service provided once monthly.
In November 1997, the Food Bank moved to 1334 Harriet Street, and five years later, it moved to 1367 Hammond Street. Two years after that, it moved once again to 1319 Hammond Street.
In 2014, the North Bay Food Bank purchased the building located at 1016 Fisher Street. Renovations and an addition were completed in the spring of 2015. On April 3, 2015, the North Bay Food Bank opened the doors to its permanent – and hopefully final – location.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
Reach out to the North Bay Food Bank with questions about getting help, giving help, or for information on our campaigns and support programs.