The following are news releases from the Ontario Provincial Police:
Man charged with breach of recognizance
On Dec. 1, 2017, at 4:40 p.m., a male attended the North Bay Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) for his weekly sign-in, as per a condition of his recognizance.
The officer who spoke to him could smell a strong odour of alcohol on his breath. The officer began an investigation and found that the male was also bound by a condition on the recognizance not to consume alcohol.
As a result, Travis Kidd, age 35, of North Bay, was arrested and charged with Fail to Comply with Recognizance contrary to section 145(3) of the Criminal Code.
The accused was held for bail and released on an Undertaking Given to a Justice. He is to return to court on Dec. 5, 2017, at the Ontario Court of Justice in North Bay.
Collision leads to arrest
On Dec. 1, 2017, at 6:40 p.m., members from the North Bay OPP Detachment responded to a motor vehicle collision on the Bypass near Cassells Street. The complainant advised that the other involved driver had left the scene.
Officers began an investigation into the collision. The other driver was located by police a short time later. The driver was found to have three different driver's licence suspensions and had been consuming alcohol while driving.
The driver was identified as Allan Groves, age 49, of Bonnechere Valley Township, Ontario. He has been charged with the following:
- Driving While Disqualified x 2 contrary to section 259(4) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Possession of a Schedule II Substance - Cannabis Marihuana contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA);
- Driving While Under Suspension contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) and;
- Driving a Motor Vehicle with Open Container of Liquor contrary to section 32(1) of the Liquor Licence Act (LLA).
The accused has been released on a Promise to Appear and HTA Summons with a date to attend the Ontario Court of Justice, North Bay, on Jan. 23, 2017.
Youth charged with numerous offences
EAST FERRIS TOWNSHIP - On Dec. 3, 2017, members from the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) North Bay Detachment responded to a residence in East Ferris Township where a 15-year-old female was out of control.
Officers attended the residence and conducted an investigation.
The 15-year-old youth has been charged with the following:
- Assault with a Weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Uttering Threats to Cause Death or Bodily Harm contrary to section 264.1(1)(a) of the CC and;
- Mischief Under $5,000 contrary to section 430(4) of the CC.
The youth has been held in custody for bail court today.