This is 'Police Week’ in Ontario. This year’s theme as chosen by the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police is “Proudly Supporting Our Police”.
This week NBPS officers will be out in the community at the malls, the Friendship Centre and the Gathering Place to interact with members of the community.
"This year the North Bay Police crime prevention plan involves a number of initiatives to both assist our community and also to engage with members of our community," says John Schultz, Community Safety Coordinator.
Sir Robert Peel, regarded as the father of modern British policing, stated; “the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.”
The message here in North Bay and Callander from Chief Devine and Deputy Chief Tod is to remind people that “You are Crime Prevention”.
With this message in mind the North Bay Police open the door this year to;
- Security Camera Resource and Mapping (SCRAM) Adding your name to the resource list of the North Bay Police if you have a home or business security camera that may assist police in identifying criminals or people of interest in your neighbourhood.
- Home Inspections; providing inspections for homes and businesses to help prevent crime.
- Know your Neighbour Campaign which encourages residents to interact with their neighbours for the purpose of embracing security
- Citizens Police Academy. We want to build on the success of this year’s first academy and look to the fall of 2019 for more information on another academy.
- Cops and Kids - as part of a youth engagement the winter of 2018-19 saw the inaugural “Cops and Kids” initiative. It is an effort with the North Bay Battalion were a young person in our community was selected on the merits of their conduct and contributions in the school environment. The six High School students, one from each of our excellent High Schools, attended an OHL Battalion game with an Officer. We will continue to outreach program this upcoming winter.