Asbestos has been found in the Chippewa gymnasium, but it poses no hazard say school officials.
"It was recently identified that an encapsulated area of Asbestos-Containing Material was disturbed around the elbow of a pipe in the high ceiling of the gymnasium," said spokesperson Mairghread Knought to CKAT.
"At no time was the health and safety of students or staff at risk. The Board's Health and Safety team has been working diligently with contractors, beginning Friday and throughout the weekend, to remedy the matter. As a result of on-going efforts to encapsulate the areas of piping that contain asbestos and complete a full abatement process, the gymnasium has been closed to staff, students and the community. Air quality testing will be completed prior to continued use of the facilities."