Three residents of Sturgeon Falls are among 15 people arrested in connection with a motorcycle gang drug ring in northeastern Ontario.
Project STINTON was conducted over a six-month period and during the course of the investigation the project team combined to seize:
- 182 grams of cocaine;
- 66 grams of crack cocaine;
- 7,000 methamphetamine tablets;
- 700 grams of cannabis marihuana;
- 30 grams of "shatter" -- a concentrated Cannabis Marihuana derivative;
- $25,475.00 Canadian currency;
- Ten non-restricted firearms;
- Two Conducted Energy Weapons (i.e. Tasers - Prohibited weapons) - and five additional prohibited weapons;
- Two vehicles as offence-related property; and,
- Evidence linking members to the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club, and other offence-related property.
In addition, a search warrant was executed at an after-hours bar in Sudbury operated by members of the Hell's Angels and evidence was seized in relation to illegal alcohol sales.
The offences include:
- conspiracy to traffic in controlled substances,
- trafficking in a controlled substance,
- possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking,
- possession of property obtained by crime, and
- weapons-related offences.
In all, police have charged 15 people with 78 offences relating to the Controlled Drug and Substances Act (CDSA) and the Criminal Code of Canada.
All but one of the accused persons have been released and are expected to appear at the Ontario Courts of Justice in Sudbury, Sturgeon Falls, Elliot Lake and North Bay over the next six weeks. The investigation continues.
- Justin Glynn (27) – Sturgeon Falls – Remains in Custody
- Roch Mercier (31) – Sturgeon Falls
- Melanie Poisson (23) – Sturgeon Falls
- Chad McDonald (32) – Sudbury
- Ronald Laforest (46) – Sudbury
- Race Baker (29) – Sudbury
- Stephen Fazekas (55) – Sudbury
- Joseph Newton (57) – Elliot Lake
- Crystal Grant (25) – Elliot Lake
- Christiane Denis (32) – Elliot Lake
- Eric Cardinal (29) – Elliot Lake
- Michael Dubois (28) – Elliot Lake
- Amanda Young (24) – Elliot Lake
- Anthony McBurney (28) – Elliot Lake
- Kyle Donoghue (25) – Sudbury
The operation was carried out by the OCEB Sudbury Unit in partnership with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), Greater Sudbury Police Service and York Regional Police. Members of the OPP Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU Team), canine units, Provincial Asset Forfeiture Unit and Biker Enforcement Unit, tactical teams from York Regional Police Service, Greater Sudbury Police Service, RCMP and Sault Ste. Marie Police Service participated in executing 16 search warrants on June 15, 2017. The West Nipissing Police Service and Wikwemikong Tribal Police Service also assisted with the investigation.