It appears a thief fell right into the long arms of the law in Temiskaming Shores recently.
Members of the Temiskaming Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a call for a break and enter which was in progress on Main Street in the City of Temiskaming Shores around 2 a.m. on July 29.
The OPP say a preliminary investigation revealed that a perpetrator broke into a business and was still inside.
They allege that the individual attempted to flee the scene by crawling into the ceiling. A short time after, the accused fell through the tiles and was immediately arrested by police.
A search incident to arrest, yielded a large number of pills.
The accused was transported to the hospital as a precautionary measure.
Kevin Cotes-Turpin, a 36-year-old resident of Temiskaming Shores, has been charged with:
- Break, enter a place - commit indictable offence, contrary to section 348(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Mischief Under $5,000, contrary to section 430(4) of the CC
- Fail to comply with probation order, contrary to section 733.1(1) of the CC
- Theft Under $5,000, contrary to section 334(b) of the CC
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of Trafficking - Other Drugs, contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) (two counts)
The accused was held for a Bail Hearing and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice at a later date in the City of Temiskaming Shores.
The Temiskaming OPP would like to remind the public, to report all suspicious activity to police. Try to obtain as much information as possible while assuring your safety, and do not interfere with the crime scene.
Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.