Skip to content

The North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation has Will Power

'It was important for the Foundation to join the Will Power campaign because our Wills have the incredible power to make change in the world'
2015 10 2 Hospital North Bay sign 3 turl

North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation has joined more than 500 charities, financial advisors and legal professionals from across Canada for the launch of Will Power™, a national public education effort designed to show Canadians the power they have to make a difference with their Wills. Campaign organizers anticipate that if enough Canadians join the effort and leave a charitable gift in their Will, as much as $40 billion dollars could be pledged in the next 10 years for important social causes like your local healthcare needs.  

Foundation officials say community generosity has an impact on care available at NBRHC every day. Donations have helped build our hospital, purchase our first MRI, two new CT scanners and so much more – this includes donations made through Wills. Last year, a donation made through the Will of Marilyn & Bud Mitchell helped purchase pumps to support pain management throughout the hospital. 

“It was important for the Foundation to join the Will Power campaign because our Wills have the incredible power to make change in the world for the causes close to our hearts,” says Tammy Morison, President & CEO, NBRHCF in a release. 

“The more people that talk about this powerful giving option, the more social good can be achieved for our entire community.”

The national participation rate for charitable giving through Wills in Canada is currently 5 per cent. The goal of the Will Power™ campaign is to increase it to 8.5 per cent by 2030. There are more than 20 countries around the world with similar campaigns aimed at inspiring their public to leave gifts in Wills to charity.  

Research conducted by the CAGP Foundation shows that 86% of Canadians are aware they can leave a charitable gift in a Will, but more than 60% choose not to because they believe it would take away from their loved ones. But it’s not an either/or proposition – everyone can leave a gift to charity while still taking care of those they love most. 

It may come as a surprise that even 1 per cent left to charity in a Will can make an enormous impact on a cause like your hospital, while still leaving 99 per cent of a person’s estate for their family. Leaving a small portion of an estate to charity could result in a bigger contribution than most people would ever think possible, while still supporting those they love. 

We encourage everyone to visit the Will Power™ website to learn about gifts in Wills and get tips on estate planning, calculate your potential gift, or contact a financial or legal advisor to take that next step.

You can also visit our Will Power webpage here to learn about how NBRHC Foundation typically uses charitable bequests.