Skip to content

Smoke alarms saved family from New Year's tragedy: Fire Chief

'Upon arrival, heavy smoke and flames were encountered in the attached garage'
0
village rd astorville
A Village Rd. fire in Astorville could have been a tragedy. Supplied.

East Ferris Fire Chief Frank Loeffen is crediting working smoke alarms for stopping a potential tragic fire on Village Rd. in Astorville Tuesday.

The East Ferris Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire just after 3 p.m. New Year's Day.

"Upon arrival, heavy smoke and flames were encountered in the attached garage," explained Loeffen. "The volunteers quickly prevented the fire from spreading into the two storey residence and extinguished the fire in the garage."

The family was upstairs when the smoke detector on the main level began sounding.

"Shortly after, the second storey detector began sounding," said Loeffen. "Working smoke alarms notified the occupants in the residence who quickly evacuated and called the fire department from a neighbour’s house.

"Thanks to working smoke alarms on every level of the house, tragedy was averted for this young family and their young children."

Damage to the structure is estimated at $8,000 and is under investigation by the fire department.

Every home in Ontario must have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas. Failure to comply with the Fire Code smoke alarm requirements could result in a ticket for $360 or a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals.

 




Comments


Jeff Turl

About the Author: Jeff Turl

Jeff is a veteran of the news biz. He's spent a lengthy career in TV, radio, print and online, covering both news and sports. He enjoys free time riding motorcycles and spoiling grandchildren.
Read more