North Bay Police have charged a 20-year-old woman from Quebec after a North Bay man was drugged and robbed on December 4, 2020.
Police say the woman met the North Bay man through an online dating ad.
The man says during their encounter in North Bay he was drugged and robbed of an undetermined amount of cash by his date.
The 20-year-old, not named by police, is charged with:
- Robbery with violence
- Administer a noxious thing with intent – endanger life or cause bodily harm
After an investigation, North Bay Police requested an arrest warrant that was executed by the OPP's Highway Safety Division near Mississauga.
The woman was arrested by the OPP.
She is currently being held in custody pending a bail hearing at the North Bay Court House.
North Bay Police advise that if you are an online dater, be careful who you meet and where you meet them.
Here's some advice for dating online:
- Do Your Research - use a search engine to do a quick search of the person.
- Do a video chat or a telephone chat before your first date. Get to know the person, not the profile they provided.
- Don’t provide too much personal information to your new acquaintance.
- Drive yourself or take public transportation to your first meeting.
- A public place is the best place to meet and make sure you tell a trusted friend or family member the details ahead of time.
- Stay sober