Orkin Canada released its list of the top 25 rattiest cities in Ontario today, with North Bay ranking 21, a drop of one from last year.
The GTA accounted for four of the five top spots with Toronto taking top spot.
Toronto is followed by Mississauga, Scarborough, London, and Etobicoke which make up the top five cities on the list. Sudbury moved from five to eight, while Timmins was 25th.
Ottawa ranks number 12 while Barrie is 17.
The rankings are based on the number of commercial and residential rats and mice treatments carried out in the province by Orkin from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
"In the last six months, there has been a shift in where rodents are being spotted," says an Orkin news release. "As a result of the decrease in restaurant and overall business waste due to COVID-19, rodents have migrated to a greater degree to residential neighbourhoods with higher than usual waste from people working and studying from home."
The company offers these tips for those of you looking to prevent rodents from entering your home:
- Seal cracks or holes with caulk or foam and install weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Keep shrubbery at least a metre away from the home exterior.
- Eliminate moisture sources, such as clogged gutters.
- Keep food preparation areas clean inside the home and thoroughly clean spills and crumbs.
- Clean trash cans regularly and ensure they are covered tightly.
A complete list of Ontario’s rattiest cities can be downloaded here.