North Bay Regional Health Centre
We continue to see gastroenteritis and influenza activity in the Emergency Department. Due to this higher level of activity, cleaning of the ER department has been increased.
The district has seen a total of 39 confirmed cases of influenza A with four cases currently in hospital and two local long term care homes are currently in Influenza A outbreak.
What effect does this have on patient care?
· As we enter the holiday season, it means the Emergency Room could be very busy resulting in longer wait times as staff deal with the increased cases presenting to the ER.
What can I do?
· WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS. Research shows that 50% of transmissions can be prevented by washing your hands. When visiting the hospital, please STOP and use the HAND WASHING STATIONS at each entrance upon entering AND leaving the hospital and help keep you and your loved ones safe.
· STAY HOME if you are experiencing upset stomach, diarrhea, fever or flu-like symptoms.
· GET YOUR INFLUENZA VACCINE. Immunization against Influenza is still the best way to prevent the flu and it’s not too late. Visit the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit’s website or call its office to learn about clinics in your area.
· Should you require emergency care, please call an ambulance or come to the Emergency Department.
In the event an outbreak is declared within the hospital, visitor restrictions will be implemented.