North Bay firefighters worked swiftly late last night to contain a garbage can fire that started in downtown North Bay.
Greg Saunders, deputy fire chief, says fire crews responded to a call at 333 Main Street East just after midnight.
"Upon arrival firefighters were required to extinguish a fire that started in a garbage can that was pushed against the doorway to the building," Saunders stated in an email.
"This fire had already extended into the doorframe and soffit above the door. This situation was perilously close to turning into a very significant fire event."
Saunders believes the cause of the fire is arson and police were called to investigate.