Police say safety will be a key to their enforcement this fall as hunters head into the bush in search of game.
This annual hunting guide summarizes the rules and regulations for hunting in Ontario. It provides information about hunting licences and fees, as well as up-to-date regulations and seasons for each game species.
See the Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary here.
OPP Inspector Tyler Sturgeon, wants to ensure everyone has an enjoyable and safe hunting season.
"The 2021 fall hunting season is underway and the OPP are patrolling the trails to ensure people are in compliance with the hunting regulations," says Sturgeon. "Safety is a priority when hunting. Be sure you are familiar with firearm safety rules and hunting regulations specific to the area you are hunting in, before venturing out to enjoy your day."
There are several things hunters can do to keep themselves and others around them safe during this hunting season.
Hunters should keep the following safety rules in mind:
- Tell someone where you will be hunting and when you will be returning
- Know the weather conditions in your hunting area and dress accordingly
- In an emergency, stay calm and stay put
- Avoid hypothermia - know how to treat it if it strikes
- Keep rested, hydrated and well-nourished
- Carry a survival kit and a small first aid kit with you at all times
- Know how to build a fire in all weather conditions and carry the supplies to start one
- Carry a map and compass or GPS unit and know how to use them