OPP have been receiving complaints recently related to high pressure door to door sales people.
High-pressure salespeople can seem charming and friendly, and appear honest. They use many different convincing techniques and can be very aggressive and intimidating. OPP is reminding community members to be vigilant and to keep the following things in mind when dealing with people who show up at your door unannounced.
- Never unlock or open your door to strangers- speak through the door.
- Verify identification of visitors, sales and service people. If in doubt, check with the company to see if they sent a representative.
- Never reveal personal information to anyone. Do not show them your identification, copies of bills, bank statements or personal documents.
- Don’t rush into making a decision to purchase. Tell them you need to discuss it with family, or that you are not interested now. Ask for written material and their contact information so you can review the items and get back in touch with them
- Ensure all agreements made are in writing with the company’s contact information attached. Be wary of using cash as a down payment.
- Call police if the visitor refuses to leave after you have asked them to do so.
If you feel you have been scammed or if you have any questions or doubts about agreements you have signed, please contact the OPP.