Skip to content

UPDATE Careful on Algonquin, fire

Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of the fire
20180516 903 algonquin ave fire mike oakes
Firefighters are at the scene of an apartment fire on Algonquin Ave. Photo courtesy Mike Oakes.

At just after 3 p.m. today fire crews from all three stations responded to a structure fire at 904 Algonquin. 

The building is a three-story multi-residential building owned by the Nipissing Mental Health Housing and Support Services.

"The fire began in the kitchen of a unit on the third floor," says Deputy Fire Chief Greg Saunders. "The tenant of the fire unit was taken to hospital by ambulance.  Properly maintained fire alarm systems provided early warning to the tenants of the apartment building of the danger posed by the fire. All other tenants were able to safely evacuate."

North Bay Fire personnel were on-scene in four minutes says Saunders. 

"Fire crews entered the apartment and very quickly and effectively suppressed the fire, containing the damage to just the unit of origin. Fire crews did a search of all of the units of the apartment, all residents have been accounted for. Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of the fire."

Careless smoking is a leading cause of fires and fire fatalities in Ontario.  


Original story:

If you are heading up Algonquin Ave. be aware that fire crews have blocked the northbound lane to fight an apartment fire.

Not much information so far, but crews were called out around 3:10 p.m. Police are also on the scene.

The fire is at 904 Algonquin Ave.

BayToday will update as information becomes available.