Nipissing MPP Vic Fedeli
QUEEN’S PARK – Nipissing MPP Vic Fedeli was pleased today to speak in support of Bill 77, the Hawkins Gignac Act, which passed Final Reading with all-party support in the Ontario Legislature.
The law will make carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in Ontario homes.
The bill was proposed after the December 2008 tragedy in which Ontario Provincial Police Const. Laurie Hawkins, her husband Richard and their two children, Cassandra and Jordan, died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Woodstock home.
The couple was originally from North Bay, and their deaths touched many in the community.
“This has been a five-year battle by my caucus colleague Ernie Hardeman and the family to get this legislation passed. My hat is off to Ernie, John Gignac and other family members for their determination and dedication to see that Laurie, Richard and their children did not die in vain,” said Fedeli.
“In the Ontario Legislature today, we did something that will unequivocally and literally save lives,” said Fedeli, who welcomed Laurie’s brother Tom Hawkins, his wife Pam, his mother Debbie and children Kayla and Kendra to the Legislature today to witness the bill’s passage.
Fedeli noted that the number of close calls recorded by fire departments across the province is startling and alarming. In January 2012 alone, the North Bay Fire Department responded to 17 carbon monoxide alarm calls, four of which resulted in CO levels being detected.
“CO detectors DO save lives,” said Fedeli. “I can’t understand why anyone would object to having a device that can save a life.”
In 2009 while serving as Mayor of North Bay, Fedeli and City Council passed a bylaw making it mandatory for all homes in the City that have a fuel-fired appliance to install a carbon monoxide detector.