OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Steward compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Corporate Health and Safety manual.
- Maintain and ensure the implementation of safety programs for the employees.
- Provide safety guidance, expertise, advice to a division of the organization.
- Provide leadership in working with H&S Representatives to ensure audit compliance, effective solutions and positive outcomes are achieved
- Ensure supervision conducts periodic audits of departmental compliance and, where necessary, alerts and recommends corrective actions
- Ensure processes exist to coordinate activities with suppliers, contractors, customers and service providers to ensure the health and safety of employees (including their own while on our property) while interacting with Algoma.
- Ensure tests and procedures are in place to monitor any health risks to employees (e.g. physical, ergonomic and chemical hazards). Ensure good Industrial Hygiene practices are used.
- Monitor analytical results and inform relevant departments of deviations or excesses from normal results. Where possible, warn department of variations before they become excessive.
- Ensure the development and implementation of programs to meet accident prevention objectives.
- Assist with the development and delivery of all department safety meetings.
- Attend all safety, incident, and accident meetings held within the Division.
- Assist in health and safety employee concerns within the Division.
- Provide training in Health and Safety to employees.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Degree in a related field (e.g. Sciences, Environmental, Occupational H&S), with additional training/education (certification) in Health & Safety and Industrial Hygiene.
- Minimum 5 years of experience successfully implementing health and safety programs, preferably in a large (industrial), unionized, manufacturing setting, such as mining, steel, or construction.
- Preference will be given to Candidates that are certified or working towards Industrial Hygiene certification.
- Demonstrate increased responsibility and organizational accountability. Prefer managerial experience.
- Experience with the OH&S Act, the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of the Environment in terms of legislative compliance and implementation.
- Experience delivering training to employees.
- Experience in developing employees and driving/facilitating process improvement initiatives.
- Experienced in the use of computer applications (Microsoft office, spreadsheets, databases) to analyze data for the purpose of improving performance.
- Experience effectively communicating with government, employees, and senior management working toward optimal solutions.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.