Nipissing Transition House
Emergency Shelter Worker – Relief/Casual
Nipissing Transition House is a 20 bed shelter dedicated to ending violence against women. Emergency shelter services are provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Supervision of the shelter and delivery of services on a shift by shift basis
• Conduct admission interviews and assessments
• Provide support and case management to all clients during the shift.
• Work with women to complete initial needs and goals assessments and action plans as well as assist them in reaching their goals through support, guidance and problem solving.
• Ensure the safety and security of the shelter and shelter residents.
• Advocate on behalf of women with other community agencies and make appropriate referrals
• Respond to crisis calls, providing appropriate support and referrals
• Perform household duties as necessary (meal preparation, cleaning, light maintenance)
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Diploma or Degree in a Human or Social Service Field with related experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of intimate partner violence, gender-based violence and its effects on women and children.
• Ability to relate to women and children of diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent counselling and crisis management skills
• Demonstrated ability to be supportive and non-judgmental
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated time management skills and organizational skills
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Knowledge of available community resources
• Must provide a clear criminal record check
• This casual position entails shift work, including overnights, weekends and holidays
• Bilingualism is considered an asset
• Proof of COVID vaccination
Part-time hours (0-36/week)
Salary: $26.23 per hour
Please submit cover letter and resume to the Executive Director by email: email@example.com