Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Coordinates and resolves equipment and process problems as required. Will need to work down days, major rebuilds and upgrade projects.
- Will collaborate with Operations and other service groups ensuring that the process and mechanical equipment provides a quality product.
- Responsible for carrying out a prescribed safety program which will involve employee training, conducting regular safety meetings, consistent use of SCR's systems and ensuring the tradesmen are following all safety procedures and practices as required on a regular basis.
- Provide supervision and direction to maintenance crews to carry out mechanical maintenance work including: • Ensure effective and efficient maintenance of equipment
- Ensure ongoing improvement of maintenance techniques and effectiveness of maintenance crew.
- Work effectively with colleagues and cross-functional peers.
- Ensure area maintenance services are provided in a reliable, safe, and cost effective manner.
- Monitor the delivery of maintenance service from external service providers.
- Identify and recommend equipment improvements.
- Develop, implement and monitor department job safe practices and department specific standard operating procedures.
- Understand principles and ensure compliance with the collective agreement.
- Support the effective implementation and adherence to plant wide standard operating procedures, (both maintenance and operations) including quality and environmental standards.
- Ensure the continuous improvement of all area activities.
- Identify potential equipment problems and opportunities for improvement and communicate with colleagues and peers.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Minimum three (3) year Diploma in Mechanical Technology OR a Mechanical Trade Certificate along with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the Mechanical maintenance field.
- Good knowledge of mechanical equipment including fluid and gas equipment, drive systems and hydraulic systems is required. • A demonstrated ability in troubleshooting analysis, equipment maintenance and repair techniques.
- Experience with technical drawings and strong knowledge of maintenance systems.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental policies.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Algoma’s systems including Microsoft Office (email, word processing, spreadsheets, project scheduling) and ASCIM.
- Supervisory experience and experience is an asset.
- Must pass normal Coke making medical/respirator fit test.
- This position requires the ability to climb and work at heights.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.