Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
As part of the Finance Department, the Mill Controller will report to the Manager Cost Accounting & Budget and will be accountable for the ongoing analysis of operational performance to identify and drive improvement in areas of risk, opportunity and cost. The Mill Controller will help to control and enhance the financial performance of the operating/maintenance division(s) of the Company.
- Provide leadership and drive operational improvement in the form of cost reduction, quality improvement, and productivity enhancement, in cooperation with operations management and technical teams.
- Steward the operating area and corporate Annual Business Plan process, performing data collection & analysis, and process & product cost modeling
- Monitor performance of assigned operating areas versus Annual Business Plan, identify potential risks and opportunities, and recommend actions to meet or exceed operational and cost performance targets.
- Develop new, and enhance existing exhibits, models, and reports to improve accuracy, reduce resource requirements, and provide improved information for business decision making
- Ensure inventory control by developing, improving, and monitoring adherence to policies and procedures on physical adjustments
- Deliver cost review presentations and ad-hoc cost analyses that highlight trends and changes for review and action by operations management
- Safeguard Company assets by maintaining and enforcing financial controls and policies
- Advise and recommend methods for improving reporting accuracy, content and timeliness.
- Advise management of unfavorable cost trends and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Accountable for the credibility of product cost data.
- Provide cost/budget training to personnel within assigned division
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- University degree, preferably with a major in accounting.
- Must have, or be actively pursuing, a professional accounting designation (CPA) and demonstrate a planned timeline for completion within a maximum of 36 months.
- Must have experience successfully implementing cost programs, preferably in a large (industrial), unionized, manufacturing setting, such as mining, steel, or construction
- Demonstrate increased responsibility and organizational accountability
- Experience in developing and driving/facilitating process improvement initiatives
- Experienced in the use of desktop applications (spreadsheets, databases) to analyze data for the purpose of improving performance. Experience using SAP is considered an asset.
- Solid understanding of cost accounting principles and cost variance analysis.
- Strong organizational skills are required in order to complete multiple tasks within restrictive time frames.
- Requires strong problem solving and decision-making skills as well as the ability to identify and initiate opportunities for improvement.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today. We offer a competitive salary with a discretionary Performance Bonus Plan and an Extended Health Benefits Package and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.