Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
A Place to Call Home
Algoma Steel takes great pride in preserving the high quality of life offered by the Sault – a vibrant and beautiful city that’s surrounded by stunning natural scenery. With its affordable housing, impressive work/life balance, proximity to the US, and lack of commute times, it’s the perfect place to raise a family and call home. For more information on living and working in Sault Ste. Marie visit www.welcometossm.com.
- Consult with business staff to develop an understanding of the varied and complex business needs related to Finance, Controlling, and Treasury functions supported by various business systems, including SAP, Fiori, Concur, and Esker.
- Responsible for determining how changing business needs will be supported by various systems, including SAP. Understand the role of the SAP system in the big picture and provide ideas and recommendations regarding the evolution of the system as a whole.
- Understand key performance indicators for Finance, Costing and Treasury functions and work with business and IT resources on improvement initiatives.
- Understanding of Finance and Costing month-end, and year-end processing knowledge and supporting business functions as required.
- Respond to questions and guide the client regarding current and potential system inputs, processes and outputs.
- Conduct research and analysis into the nature, effect and results of business processes and/or system problems and propose process improvements and/or system-based solutions.
- Develop detailed business user requirements, system documentation, workflow procedures, and data modelling. Negotiate plans, time frames and trade-offs while ensuring the client understands the final results of the project.
- Review and approve requested system changes and develop detailed specifications for implementation. Communicate system changes and issues to all levels.
- Ensure current and accurate system documentation, coordinate and/or perform testing system modifications, and develop, provide, and/or coordinate system training, educational tools and materials.
- Produce reports, timelines, and graphics using the advanced functions of a personal computer.
- Create reports from existing client databases to satisfy user requests, data sampling, project analysis, or testing verification.
- Execute system quality control practices and procedures.
- Prepare appropriate documentation before, during and after any project to clearly support the new systems being implemented as well as to demonstrate good planning, control, and reporting on all projects.
- Adhere to Algoma’s IT Service Management processes for Incident, Service Request and Change Management.
- Build effective relationships with functional areas to develop a joint vision. Act as a liaison with IT and/or outside vendors as appropriate in support of the systems. Work together with internal users and consultants to ensure the client’s business needs are met.
- Participate in industry and other professional networks to ensure awareness of industry standards, trends and best practices in order to strengthen organizational and technical knowledge.
- Coordinate with internal/external auditors and CRA and facilitate the information with due diligence.
- Prioritize requirements from business stakeholders and define timelines for project deliverables.
- Must have a post-secondary degree or diploma with an IT or Finance concentration.
- Candidates who do not meet the educational requirement, but have the relevant experience listed below may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years’ hands on experience with SAP FICO module.
- Experience implementing, supporting or using SAP Finance, Controlling, Funds Management, and Project Systems with an understanding of integration with other modules including MM, PM, PP, QM, SD and electronic data exchange (e.g. EDI / fax/email) with external clients would be an asset.
- Experience leading or participating in a cross-functional group consisting of business and IT members would be an asset.
- Good oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to others.
- Good organizational skills, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Experience working in various roles in a team environment.
- Experience with Business process mapping processes and tools would be an asset.
- Additional skills in other SAP areas e.g. HR, Payroll, MM, PM, VC etc. would be an asset.
- Experience using Microsoft Windows, and MS Office.
- Experience with Algoma’s business systems and their cross-functional relationships would be an asset.
This is a vacancy in our Salaried Union LU2724.
Job Location: On-site in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Algoma Steel offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply by December 1, 2023.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.