Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
A Place to Call Home
Algoma Steel takes great pride in preserving the high quality of life offered by the Sault – a vibrant and beautiful city that’s surrounded by stunning natural scenery. With its affordable housing, impressive work/life balance, proximity to the US, and lack of commute times, It’s the perfect place to raise a family and call home.
For more information on living and working in Sault Ste. Marie visit www.welcometossm.com.
- Accountable for maintaining a quality system that complies with appropriate standards and is consistent across all operating areas.
- Provide technical support to the daily operation of area.
- Troubleshoot and solve repetitive process issues to improve operational efficiency; recommend action to eliminate the “root cause” in a timely manner.
- Participates in daily production meetings.
Will monitor key process / product parameters to ensure a center lined operation and advise Supervision of opportunities for improvement.
- Raise the awareness and drive the organization to apply disciplined statistical process control (SPC) systems and techniques.
- Be fully aligned with all Health, Safety and Environmental practices and procedures in all work activities.
- Review longer-term chronic problems and/or improvement objectives which enable the operating managers to focus on meeting their short term product, process and cost objectives.
- Lead and/or participate in problem solving groups that focus on continually improvement: quality, costs, productivity and general process improvement.
- Support the operating group in achieving their annual product and process improvement objectives as outlined in their continuous improvement program.
- Maintain effective and constructive working relationships with operating Front Line Supervisors, as well as shop floor personnel.
- Occasional periods of shift work or weekend work may be required to support the team in meeting their objectives.
- Develops contacts both internally and externally, to support troubleshooting and problem resolution in a timely manner.
- Develop a depth in steel making, processing and support technologies.
- Identify process, product and technology improvements resulting in Algoma being recognized as a leader in the industry.
- Must have a four (4) year Engineering degree.
- Must have a minimum 5 years of relevant experience with and knowledge of thin casting within a Steel Plant environment.
- Must have analytical experience with data analysis tools.
- Advanced computer skills and process control are important.
- Possess keen analytical and problem solving skills.
- Possess good organizational and communication skills.
- Strong project management and technical leadership skills.
- Be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Possess good interpersonal skills and the ability to function effectively in a team environment.
- Knowledge of OHSA and Health & Safety practices and procedures.
- Good detailed knowledge of steel production and processes.
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.