Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hotrolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing
low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Accountable for furnace crews and the process in the operation of #6 & #7 Blast Furnace and ancillary and process equipment. (Stockhouse, Stovehouse, Furnace Proper, Gas Cleaning Plant, Casthouse and Auxiliary Processes i.e. Granulator, Slag Pit, Baghouse, Slag Pots)
- Ensures the Corporate Health, Safety & Environmental policies are adhered to.
- Interacts with and directs assigned Mechanical / Electrical forces as required.
- Participates in cost control, CIP and quality programs.
- Accountable for iron production and for casting schedules, under the direction of Shift Coordinator - Ironmaking to maintain a constant supply of quality on grade hot metal to Steelmaking. Assists in direction of maintenance repairs during furnace down days.
- Manages the Furnace Process - Collaborates with the Shift Coordinator - Ironmaking in adjusting furnace parameters, burdens and levels of production.
- Manage casthouse repairs
- Manage casthouse conditions
- Collaborates with Utilities, Mechanical and Electrical personnel in determining causes of problems on the furnace and assists in resolution of problems.
- Operates in a computerized environment to access, process and retrieve data.
- Minimum 3 year Diploma or Degree in a technical discipline (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Metallurgical) OR a Grade 12 and 3 years of demonstrated knowledge and experience of the Ironmaking Operations.
- Requires demonstrated technical understanding of the Blast Furnace and the Ironmaking process including basic metallurgy, maintenance processes and systems operation.
- Requires demonstrated knowledge of Algoma’s Environmental/Quality Management System
- Demonstrated leadership and people skills, excellent problem solving skills.
- Must be able to wear a self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Must be able to work at heights.
- Excellent organization skills, communication skills and experience working in teams as well as with minimal supervision
- Knowledge and commitment to Algoma’s Joint Health and Safety System would be an asset.
- Knowledge of computer systems, including PC applications (Word, Outlook, Excel and SAP) would be an asset
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted