ELECTRICAL ENGINEER - POWER SYSTEMS
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Develop, program and commission Industrial Power and Automated Drive Systems.
- Produce power system modeling and protective coordination studies.
- Produce integrated automated drive system designs.
- Produce conceptual and detailed engineering designs, project requirements, bid specifications, expenditure approval requests and functional specifications for capital projects.
- Produce cost estimates, detailed budgets and schedules for capital projects.
- Provide project management and commissioning services for capital projects.
- Ensure assigned projects are completed successfully as scoped, on schedule and within budget.
- Coordinate automation projects with engineering consultants including approving consultant’s designs, equipment selection and drawings.
- Provides specialized technical support to plant operations as required, including assisting with troubleshooting field issues.
- Problem Solve project issues by applying independent thinking, abstract reasoning and obtaining external resources as required.
- Maintain proficiency in area of specific expertise and provide technical recommendations.
- Ensure projects are in compliance with applicable regulatory codes.
- Travel to other mills, manufacturing facilities for inspection of equipment and offsite engineering meetings.
- Attend technical and professional courses and seminars applicable to assigned projects.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a Degree in Engineering and eligible for a P.Eng. License in the Province of Ontario.
- Will have good knowledge of modern power systems and its application in heavy industry.
- Will have good knowledge of automated drive systems as applied to heavy industry.
- Knowledge of Rolling Mills drive applications is a definite asset.
- Will have advanced personal computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, etc.).
- Will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Will be self-motivated and be able to work in a team atmosphere with minimum supervision.
- Will have a proven ability to solve problems.
- Will have good organizational and leadership skills.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.