OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The Major Projects department exists to lead the construction of new projects or the expansion of existing facilities, either on-site or in other geographic locations within North America. The group draws upon the expertise of internal and external resources to execute according to objectives.
- Attend accident investigations and counselling sessions.
- Represent corporate concerns related to environment, health and safety issues at (Division/Group) Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings.
- Consultation and dialogue with various federal/provincial government agencies concerning health and safety legislation.
- Conducts monitoring of the work environment for potential chemical or physical hazards.
- Analyses and interprets data related to legislative compliance.
- Qualifications as Certified Hygienist allow liaison with various ministry certified hygienists, occupational physicians, ergonomists and other health professionals.
- Participates at the Department/Divisional level in evaluating and reviewing existing or proposed facilities, devices, procedures and processes that might have impact on health, safety or environmental issues in the workplace.
- Actions may include process or major facility shutdown.
- Prepares and delivers training packages specific to industrial hygiene and safety for Algoma.
- Conducts research to address health, safety and industrial hygiene concerns in the workplace.
- Provide expertise in industrial hygiene to Sr. Environment, Health and Safety Officers and Environment, Health and Safety Officers.
- Prepare exposure data for WSIB occupational disease claims.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a 4 year degree in Science (such as chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics) or Engineering.
- Experience in the field of Industrial Hygiene or Health and Safety, would be considered an asset.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Requires demonstrated problem solving and decision making abilities and able to work with minimal direction.
- Requires effective interpersonal, communication, organizational, team and leadership skills.
- Must have working knowledge of PC based computer tools such as Outlook and MS Office suite.
- Knowledge and experience with Algoma’s Joint Health and Safety system.
- Knowledge and experience with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations for the Construction, Industrial and Mining industries.
- Knowledge and experience with Industrial Hygiene issues and regulations such as radiation, noise ergonomics and toxic substances.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.