The Government of Ontario is providing $9 million to support eligible residential customers struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of COVID-19.
North Bay Hydro Distribution Ltd. (NBHDL) says it is "pleased to support the launch of the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) for Residential Customers." CEAP will be administered and delivered directly by NBHDL, on behalf of the Government of Ontario and the Ontario Energy Board.
CEAP provides a one time, on-bill credit to eligible residential electricity and natural gas customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments. Applications are now being accepted.
Residential electricity customers may be eligible for CEAP funding if they meet the following criteria:
- The customer has an account with NBHDL, and the applicant MUST be the account holder.
- The customer did not have an overdue amount on their bill with respect to charges on March 17, 2020, and the account was not enrolled in payment plans for amounts owing due to charges prior to March 17, 2020.
- The customer failed to make complete payment for the electricity charges (as applicable) on at least two bills, issued since March 17, 2020 and has an overdue balance on the date of their application.
- The customer, or their spouse, or common-law partner that resides in the same residence is unemployed on the date of their application for CEAP; and has received Employment Insurance or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) after March 17, 2020.
- The customer has not received emergency financial assistance for their electricity bills under the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) in 2020 and has not received funding under the Ontario Electricity Support Program in 2020.
How to Apply
CEAP funding is limited and submitting an application for CEAP comes with no guarantees. NBHDL has posted a link to the CEAP application form on its website, and is available by email or by regular mail to any residential customer. Please contact NBHDL if you require additional assistance obtaining an application form.
Additional information regarding the CEAP program can be found on the NBHDL website. Questions regarding the CEAP program can be sent by email or phone 705-474-8100 to reach the customer service department.