Sweet 16; Trappers move up in CJHL National RankingsTuesday, February 26, 2013 by: BayToday.ca StaffSUDBURY -- The Canadian Junior Hockey League, in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting, today announced its weekly edition of the Top 20 rankings with the North Bay Trappers and Soo Thunderbirds both garnering recognition.
North Bay, who currently sit in top spot in the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League standings, moved up two notches this week to 16th overall while the second place Thunderbirds slipped out of the top 20, but still received Honourable Mention status.
The locals helped their cause last week with a 2 victories in a home and home series versus the Sudbury Nickel Barons - including a 4-3 OT win at home Friday - along with a convincing 9-1 win over the Abitibi Eskimos on home ice Sunday.
The Trappers boast an NOJHL-best record of 31-7-3-3, including having gone 10-1 in their past 11 outings.
As for the T-Birds, they have sport a 29-9-3-3 mark, sitting four points in arrears of rival North Bay with each side having four games remaining in the regular season.
Overall the top three sides nationally remain the same for yet another week.
The Brooks Bandits (AJHL) were tabbed in the No. 1 slot once again followed by the Minnesota Wilderness (SIJHL) at No. 2 and the 2013 Royal Bank Cup host Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) at No. 3.
The following are the CJHL Top 20 teams, as of Feb. 25, listing their overall ranking, their position last week,
as well as the league they are a member of.
1. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (1)
2. Minnesota Wilderness (SIJHL) (2)
3. Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) (3)
4. Dauphin Kings (MJHL) (4)
5. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (8)
6. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (5)
7 Yorkton Terriers (SJHL)(6)
8. Winnipeg Blues (MJHL) (10)
9. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (11)
10. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (7)
11. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (14)
12. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (12)
13. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (13)
14. Surrey Eagles (BCHL) (NR)
15. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (9)
16. North Bay Trappers (NOJHL) (18)
17. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (15)
18. Okotoks Oilers (AJHL) (NR)
19. Ottawa Jr. A Senators (CCHL) (19)
20. Collège Français de Longeueil (LHJAAAQ) (20)
Honourable Mention: Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL); Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL); Georgetown Raiders (OJHL);
Saint-Jerome Panthers (LHJAAAQ); Amherst Ramblers (MHL).
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage,
win-loss record, and total points accumulated along with goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
The CJHL is an amalgamation of 10 Jr. A hockey leagues across Canada.
More information on the CJHL can be found by visiting the league website www.cjhlhockey.com.