Fedeli says CO Detector bill offers timely reminderSaturday, October 19, 2013 by: Kate AdamsNipissing MPP Vic Fedeli
As an important piece of legislation is set to come before the Ontario Legislature again, Nipissing MPP Vic Fedeli is encouraging everyone to take a few minutes to make sure their family is protected against carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning this winter.
“As we turn on furnaces and fireplaces, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning tragedies increases,” said Fedeli. “Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless, and has no taste so the only way to know it is in your home is with a carbon monoxide detector.”
On October 31, Oxford MPP Ernie Hardeman’s Private Members Bill, the Hawkins Gignac Act, is scheduled for Second Reading. It would require functioning carbon monoxide detectors in Ontario homes. The bill is named after a former North Bay family tragically killed in Woodstock in 2008 by carbon monoxide poisoning due to a blocked fireplace vent.
Fedeli is hopeful that since the bill is included in the recent Legislative programming motion, it will have Third Reading and could become law before Christmas. However, Fedeli urges people not to wait for it to become law.
“One of the terrible things about these tragedies is that many of them could have been prevented,” said Fedeli, who along with North Bay City Council while he served as Mayor, enacted a bylaw requiring CO detectors in residences with gas-fired appliances.
On September 1, 2013 an 84-year-old man was found dead and his wife was left in critical condition as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning at their cottage near Burk’s Falls. A propane-fuelled refrigerator is suspected to be the source.
“These devices save lives,” said Fedeli, “and that’s why it is so important for everyone to have a working CO detector, maintain appliances, and ensure all vents are clear of ice and snow.”