OPP offer safety tips to keep your house and cottage safeTuesday, October 01, 2013 by: Kate AdamsOPP News Release
The West Parry Sound Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has seen an increase in Break and Enters in the Seguin Township area.
Over the last 3 weeks, the OPP responded to 14 residences and cottages where an intruder made its way inside.
Items stolen during the Break and Enters ranged from liquor, power tools, electronic equipment and food.
Here are some safety tips to keep your house safe:
- Lock your doors and windows
- Close blinds
- Maintain normal inside and outside lighting
- Arrange to have your grass cut or your driveway shoveled
- Have flyers removed from your property
- Cancel deliveries that may arrive when you are away
- Don’t talk about vacation times with strangers
- Don’t leave keys under door mats or in flower pots
- Make your home look occupied
If you suspect an intruder has been in your house, call Police immediately. Don’t enter the house and don’t touch anything.
Any person with information regarding the person(s) responsible for these break and enters or to report a suspicious person or vehicle should immediately contact the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or 705-746-4225.
Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.