Hey kids Almaguin Highlands OPP are looking for a Marine AssistantFriday, March 01, 2013 by: Kate AdamsOPP News Release
ALMAGUIN HIGHLANDS – The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Almaguin Highlands Detachment is currently seeking applications for a Marine Assistant position for 2013.
The purpose of the program is to provide an opportunity to gain exposure and experience within the field of Law Enforcement through hands-on experience. The student will learn marine safety and related legislation, boat maintenance, prepare reports and interact with the public as a representative of the OPP. Marine Students, work alongside a qualified OPP marine operator, on a police vessel, conducting marine checks on recreational boaters for safety equipment usage, safe vessel operations and enforcement of statute law which includes the Canada Shipping Act 2001, Criminal Code and the Liquor Licence Act.
The OPP requires the following for consideration for this student position:
• Must be 18 years of age.
• Possess a Pleasure Craft Operators Card.
• Have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence.
• CPR & First Aid qualifications.
• Strong swimming abilities, good communication skills, professional ap pearance as well as previous boating experience are all assets.
The “Marine Assistant” position is available for application: March 8 - 22, 2013
• Only electronic applications will be considered and can be located at http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEP.asp, or the Career pages of www.opp.ca.
• It is recommended that students retain a copy for proof of their application.
“The marine program in Almaguin Highlands has been very successful over the past three years and three different students in each respective year have been utilized over that period of time, working with local officers in keeping our waterways safe”, comments Staff Sergeant Stacey WHALEY of the Almaguin Highlands detachment.