Blue-green algae detected in Lake NosbonsingFriday, September 07, 2012 by: Kate AdamsNorth Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit
The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit wishes to advise all residents and cottagers of Lake Nosbonsing that a bloom of blue-green algae has been detected at latitude: 46.21537, longitude: 79.20743.
Initial sample results indicate that this bloom is toxin producing, although the bacteria toxin concentration is not yet known. The Health Unit advises residents who live in this area and any visitors to the area, to take the following precautions for three weeks after the bloom has disappeared:
Do not use the water from Lake Nosbonsing for drinking, cooking and bathing, if you own a private water system. Use an alternate source of water for these purposes.
You CANNOT destroy the toxins by boiling the water or using home water treatment devices.
Do not swim or participate in other water sport activities near the site or where the bloom is visible in Lake Nosbonsing.
Do not use the water from Lake Nosbonsing for pets or livestock.
More information about Blue-Green Algae can be found at www.healthunit.biz under ENVIRONMENT.
Blue-green algae, known as â€˜pond scumâ€™, are primitive microscopic bacteria that live in fresh water. They are usually hard to see, but during hot weather, they can rapidly grow to form a large mass, called a bloom.
Toxins can irritate the skin and, if ingested, cause diarrhea and vomiting. At high enough levels, the toxins may cause liver and nervous system damage.
If skin contact does occur, wash with soap and water, or rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae.
Blue-green algae thrive in warm, shallow, undisturbed water that receives a lot of sunlight and is rich in phosphorus and nitrogen. Animal and human waste and fertilizers contain phosphorus and nitrogen.